Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Sunday, December 11, 2011

To Leo on your 1st Birthday

My dearest Leo,
Words fail to capture how much your daddy and I love you. One year ago today you came into our lives after 37 weeks and 5 days of kicking, squirming, hiccuping, and punching my belly. I loved our time together, just the two of us, for those 37 weeks, knowing I could keep you safe. When the doctor told me it was time for you to come I felt a wonderful mixture of excitement and fear. We couldn't wait to meet you, hold you, kiss you, and love on you, yet I was so scared. I knew there would come a time when you were no longer with me and only me, that you would bump your head, or get a scratch. I have spent the last year trying with all of my might to protect you from all the cruelties of this world. It was only when you were facing a potentially major surgery that I fully realized I am unable to protect you on my own. God blessed your daddy and me with allowing us to raise you and He is the one that can truly protect and keep you. Remember that sweet boy. God is in control.

This past year has had many highs and a few lows. You have already faced plenty of obstacles in your short little life, yet each time you, with God's grace, manage to come out of each stronger than ever. Your arrival was wonderfully smooth and you came to meet us fairly quickly (thank you for that)! Not long after, you gave us some good scares, being severely jaundiced, taking your sweet time learning to eat, being clubfooted, not initially passing your hearing tests, having a false positive on a frightening blood test, to name a few... You had us scared! We wanted nothing more than for you to be healthy and happy. Finally, after we worked it all out over the course of your first two weeks, we celebrated your first Christmas. It was so much fun and you were so tiny. Your entire little body fit on one of our decorative couch pillows! Your daddy and I spent most of Christmas day just staring at you in amazement. So thankful of the most precious gift we were given. Remember that sweet boy. You are a gift.

We had wonderful times celebrating your other firsts. Your first bath, your first trip to church, your first road trip to Grammy & Papa's and Mawmaw & Pawpaw's, your first New Year's (you slept through it), your first Valentine's Day, your first Easter. We took a trip with Grammy, Papa, Bryan, Lisa, Callie, Jack and Macie to Yellowstone. You were such a trooper. On all 4 flights you never cried. You never fussed much about being stuck in your car seat. You were so happy. Then we had another scare. This time, the doctor told us you may need a big surgery on your skull. So many prayers went out for you to not need the surgery and God answered those prayers. Remember that sweet boy. God always answers our prayers.

Somewhere during all of our fun I managed to finish my dissertation and graduate with my doctorate. I was so proud to have you in the audience as I walked across the stage. I really wished I could have carried you across with me as I feel that you were and are my greatest accomplishment. You were my motivation to finish. I worked hard for you. Remember that sweet boy. Work hard.

Then, we up and moved to Oklahoma. Daddy and I have had so much fun taking you places and doing new things with you here. You love the wind. You like to lick it...kinda like a dog...you're funny that way. You learned to sit up on your own here, you learned to crawl here, and I know there are so many more firsts that lie ahead of us. We spent Saturday and today celebrating your 1st birthday. You had a wonderful party with many people that love you in attendance. They all were there to celebrate you. As you smashed your cake...and subsequently gagged a bunch...you made us laugh. You have made us laugh so much over the past year and I know we will continue to laugh. You have made us cry and I know that will happen more over the years to come as well. Most important, my baby boy, you have allowed your daddy and me to learn to love more than we knew possible. We have learned to love each other more because of you. We have learned to love God more because of you. You have been such a blessing to us and we are so grateful that God chose you to be our son. Remember that sweet boy. We love you and are grateful for you and can't wait for all of the fun that lies ahead. Happy 1st birthday Leo!

All of our love,
Mommy & Daddy

1 YEAR OLD!!!

11 months

10 months

9 months
8 1/2 months - this pic was a little challenging to capture as he wanted to tackle and eat his lion!

7 months
6 months
5 months
4 months
3 months
2 months
1 month

1 week

3 comments:

Nellie said...

What a beautiful message for your sweet boy. He will read this one day and know without any doubt how much he is loved!

Dianna G said...

Awesome post by an awesome Mom!
Happy 1st birthday Leo!

Wanda Spears said...

What a lovely message to the "Boss" at your house!!! Leo is blessed to have his wonderful family. It is beautiful the way you are teaching him while he is also teaching all of you. Keep your priorities right and the outcome will be positive.