After what seemed like a months worth of contractions...not just the run-of-the-mill braxton hicks variety...she finally decided to come at 38 weeks 4 days of pregnancy. To be perfectly honest, Scott and I were ready for her to come for a few weeks prior as we were just ready to meet our daughter. I had been diagnosed at 35 1/2 weeks with gestational diabetes and immediately began controlling my blood sugar with diet changes. At the same time my doctor ordered another ultrasound and it showed that our baby girl was weighing in around 8 pounds. As I stated above, I had been experiencing lots of contractions both during the day and specifically in the evenings. We would get excited, timing them, getting ourselves geared up to go to the hospital and inevitably they would stop. This was the case on Thursday, June 27th. I had only had a few contractions that day, but they seemed to pick up late that night. I didn't think much of it and was trying to get them to ease up so I could go to sleep. They finally stopped around midnight and I fell asleep. At 1am I woke to reposition my gigantic belly in bed when Annie gave a big lurch and *pop*, my water broke! I quickly slid out of bed and grabbed my phone to call Scott, who was at work. Our conversation lasted about a second because when I told him my water broke he simply said, "I'm on my way" and hung up on me! I figured it was time to pack my hospital bag and began getting ready, called my parents and our neighbor who came and stayed with Leo.
Scott and I jumped in the car and headed to the hospital. It was quite an entertaining trip at 1:30 in the morning as I began contracting much harder and steadier. We arrived at the ER, was wheeled up to triage where it was determined that I was indeed in labor, then taken to our labor and delivery room. When had the sweetest nurses during our entire stay. We got settled in for what I was hoping would not be a long night. Thanks to a fabulous epidural I was really quite comfortable and Scott and I dozed off and on. At about 8:35 it was determined that Annie was ready to be born and after 10 minutes she let out her first precious cry and was hoisted on to my stomach. I believe my first comments were something to the affect of, "Thank you, God...man she's heavy!" My sweet little girl was not so little, but she was healthy and strong. She had a lot of REALLY blonde hair, which now sticks up all over the place.
My parents were the first to meet her, followed by Leo, though he was far more impressed with the hospital room than he was his baby sister. We were blessed to have several visitors, phone calls, etc. and just enjoyed getting to know Annie Kate.
We came home on Sunday afternoon and began enjoying time with our family of 4. My mom stayed with us to help, Scott's mom came to meet Annie on Monday, then my Dad, Bryan, Lisa, Callie, Jack, and Macie came up and spent the 4th of July with us. John & Grace also were able to come up and enjoy some more time with us. We had a full house, but was so happy to have our family all together to celebrate Annie.
She's here and not entirely happy about it!
My "little" girl!
Meeting Grammy and Papa
Texas soil under my hospital bed.
Meeting Annie
First hello and kiss
Annie's first bath
Please excuse my stupid expression, first photo as a family of 4
My babies!
Sweet friends, Joanie, Jackson, and Harrison
Ready to take my sweet girl home.
In the car
Welcome Home Annie Kathryn!
Annie spent 40 hours under lights to reduce her bilirubin levels.
Callie and Annie
This was as close as Macie would get that first day.
Jack meeting Annie
Snuggle time with Aunt Lisa
Uncle Bryan
Scott bought some poppers for the kids to enjoy on the 4th.
My little firecracker
Man, they love each other!
Pawpaw and Mammaw with Annie
Pure sweetness
We finally got Macie to hold her before they went back home.
Annie's second bath
Leo's first time to hold Annie. In the hospital when asked if he wanted to hold her, he held his hands up and said, "Oh, no."

2 comments:
great pics of the kids : )
When Liam was born, Casen was interested at first but then pretty oblivious to him until he could interact with him. haha they are about 2 years apart. Now they are best buds
I love her sweet little profile in the pic with the gorgeous ivory headband! :)
Post a Comment