4:00pm - Scott calls to tell me he can get me in to possibly see Metallica and Devo (the old 80s retro band) if I will act like his intern/assistant - I think he's nuts, but why not!
6:45 - Meet friends and have dinner
8:30-10:30 - Meet Scott at the News Station and drive him downtown to where the big live truck is located. I watch and help him get the live truck set-up and then we go down and shoot some sound bites (look at me throwing around the lingo) of these crazy rocker dudes in a band called Man Automatic 

who were waiting to go see Metallica. Once the news actually begins Scott shoots some live footage of Metallica 

from afar then we tried to get in to see and shoot some footage of the band, but are turned away at the door since it is invitation only.
10:30-11:00 - Take the live truck and my car back to the station and grab a bite to eat.
11:15ish - Scott learns via emergency radio scanners of a 2 alarm fire just north of campus so we jump back in his news car and run to the site of the fire. I again pretend to be his intern/assistant and follow him around while he shot some really good footage of the fire. Luckily, no one was injured and the damage was contained to 4 apartments. I even got to hold the microphone for the press release fire lady to talk into. Here's our footage-sorry for the commercial at the front of the clip!
12:30 - head back to the station to drop off the tape and then head to the Austin Music Hall to get footage of this hilarious old retro 80s band called Devo (click to see their video). 

You may know their song Whip It.
12:45 (yes, a.m. - sorry Mom I know I'm out late) - we get to the Music Hall, Scott flashes his Media Credentials and camera and I show that I am carrying his tripod and they let us in. The tickets were costing $30, but we got in for FREE!!! So we go in, I end up talking to the Devo PR lady while Scott gets his shots and she is very kind and wanted to make sure we had everything we needed and who we were with. I answered her as if I had a clue as to what in the world I was talking about which was really entertaining. So we watch the band a little while longer then head back to the station to get my car and go to our homes.
1:10 - Get in my car and attempt to start it only to discover that my battery had completely run out of juice. So, Scott drives me home then has to drive up north to where he lives, a good 25 minutes away.
Needless to say, it was a fun and wild night, but I got to see 2 live bands, an apartment fire, a dead battery, and a LOT of really crazy musicians attending South x Southwest here in Austin!
4 comments:
Yes, I noticed your email to me about your dead battery was at 2:01AM!!!!! Tsk, tsk! You WILD thang!
Okay, no respectable lady would be out that late in Austin during SXSW, what were you thinking! Just kidding, sounds like an exciting night. SXSW always makes the city crazy.
Wow I am tired just reading your blog.
Sounds like something that would happen to me...very interesting! Hope you had fun!
Kathryn
Post a Comment